Congregation Beth Elohim (CBE) is a vibrant, cutting-edge Reform synagogue in Park Slope, Brooklyn. We are a welcoming and inclusive community, rooted in Jewish history and identity, and profoundly open to diversity in all its forms. We come together to learn, to pray, to celebrate the rhythm of Jewish time, and to support each other through the joys and sorrows of our lives. We are a spiritual, cultural and intellectual center for Jewish revitalization, fostering community and extending our values of justice, education, and inspiration throughout the neighborhoods where we live and beyond.
We are seeking an Assistant Director for Yachad, CBE’s Religious Education Program. Yachad serves nearly 500 students with full-time educators learning, creating curriculum and sustaining meaningful community for themselves, their students and families. Our current daily structure is mornings for meetings, professional development, mentorship, lesson planning, administration work and monthly social justice work. Lead educators teach 2 – 3 classes a day and are responsible for writing two grades-worth of curriculum. Members of the Yachad full-time and part-time team receive ongoing professional and leadership development training throughout the year.
CBE believes in ongoing Jewish exploration and living through deep Judaic and ritual exploration. CBE is committed to Judaism (Jewish experiences and education) that is inclusive and accessible to all. The Assistant Director plays a pivotal role in this mission by supporting our team logistically, educationally, pedagogically, and through modeling a life steeped in Jewish living and learning. In this role, they must have excellent communication and organizational skills, a warm and inclusive demeanor, and a strong sense of how to coach novice and intermediate educators. They should be a collaborative and flexible Jewish leader and educator. The Assistant Director is also part of the wider CBE staff team and works closely with our administrative staff.
- Create agenda for weekly staff meetings
- Create schedule templates
- Organize and coordinate Orientation schedule (in collaboration with Director and Learning Specialist)
- Supervise and hire majority of part-time and ½ of full-time staff in consultation with Director
- Share feedback
- Support growth
- 1:1 weekly meetings
- Co-plan PD and orientation with Director and Learning Specialist
- Co-plan staff bonding/culture building with Director and Yachad Coordinator
- Point person along with Director and Coordinator for urgent security and safety questions
- Acting Director in Director’s absence
- Answer students’ class placement questions
- Attend weekly Yachad Leadership meetings
- Attend monthly JEP Brooklyn Educators Network meetings
- Lead scheduler/coordinator of Yachad Camp (K -2 weekly, May/June for K – 6th)
- Attends at least ½ off-site programming (ex: student retreat, 6th-grade retreat, RAC, Israel, Community Retreat, Poland trip, Community Organizing South Trip)
- Co-create and teach at least one teen class, with Clergy
- Communicate with parents
- Take attendance and follow up with absent students
- Create strong relationships with students
- Foster relationships between students
- Go on one teen domestic trip, and one teen international trip
Qualifications and Expectations
- Education Level: BA, with preference for MA in education or Jewish studies
- Years of Experience: 3 – 5 years teaching or leading in a similar setting
- Strong leadership skills:
- cultivating novice and intermediate educator leadership
- communicating needs and vision with colleagues
- ability to motivate, inspire and manage groups
- Strong background and experience in:
- experiential lesson planning
- tween developmental stages with an emphasis on their socio-emotional development
- Strong organizational, planning, and project management skills
- Experience with running transportation, enrollment, safety, security, hiring logistics for off-site events
- Experience with organizing informal education events.
- Desire and ability to work with children, young adults and parents
- Knowledge and ability to lead Jewish education and experiences for tweens
- Working knowledge of Hebrew
- Content knowledge in: Judaic content (text, ritual, history) and social justice content (current, historical)
- Be a self-starter and able to work with the minimum amount of supervision, particularly for managing logistics and off-site events
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and strong work ethic, and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Jewish values-driven; able to teach from and respectfully hold colleagues and community to Yachad’s 8 values
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job and may change at any time.
Reports to: Director of Yachad and Family Education
Schedule: This position requires: Flexibility to work weekends, evenings, and holidays; with staffing domestic and international travel 1-2 times a year, our assistant director has Fridays and most Sundays off.
Salary Range: 60 – 70k, commensurate with experience
To apply, please send your resume and contact information for 3 professional references to Tehilah Eisenstadt and Adva Zingher. Please email email@example.com.
Congregation Beth Elohim (CBE) is an equal opportunity employer. It is a violation of CBE’s policies to discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family status, sexual preference, status with regard to public assistance, mental or physical impairment, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.