Become a Hebrew Coordinator at Congregation Beth Elohim’s Religious School!
Congregation Beth Elohim (CBE) is a vibrant, cutting-edge Reform synagogue in Park Slope, Brooklyn. We are a welcoming and inclusive community, rooted in Jewish history and identity, and profoundly open to diversity in all its forms. We come together to learn, to pray, to celebrate the rhythm of Jewish time, and to support each other through the joys and sorrows of our lives. We are a spiritual, cultural and intellectual center for Jewish revitalization, fostering community and extending our values of justice, education, and inspiration throughout the neighborhoods where we live and beyond.
We are seeking a Part Time Hebrew Coordinator for Yachad, CBE’s Religious Education Program. Yachad serves nearly 500 students with full-time educators learning, creating curriculum and sustaining meaningful community for themselves, their students and families. Our current daily structure is mornings for meetings, professional development, mentorship, lesson planning, administration work and monthly social justice work. Lead educators teach 2 – 3 classes a day and are responsible for writing two grades-worth of curriculum. Members of the Yachad full-time and partl-time team receive ongoing professional and leadership development training throughout the year.
CBE believes in ongoing Jewish exploration and living through deep Judaic and ritual exploration. CBE is committed to Judaism (Jewish experiences and education) that is inclusive and accessible to all. The Hebrew Coordinator will support our team logistically, educationally, pedagogically, and through modeling a life steeped in Jewish living and learning. In this role, they must have excellent communication and organizational skills, a warm and inclusive demeanor, a strong sense of how to coach novice and intermediate educators. They should be a collaborative and flexible Jewish leader and educator.
- Create plan for weekly staff check-in
- Oversee and teach Immersive Hebrew K – 2 class for former ECC Dual Language track students
- Oversee K – 4th grade Hebrew Through Movement program
- Oversee 5th – 6th Hebrew decoding program
- Coordinate part-time Hebrew staff
- Supervise Hebrew staff
- Co-plan Hebrew-related elements of professional development meetings and orientation with Director, Assistant Director and Learning Specialist
- Answer students’ class placement questions
- Attend weekly Yachad Full Team + Hebrew Coordinator check-in meetings
Qualifications and Expectations
- Education Level: BA, with preference for MA in education or related Hebrew language degree
- Years of Experience: 3 – 5 years teaching or leading in a similar setting
- Strong leadership skills:
- cultivating novice and intermediate educator leadership
- communicating needs and vision with colleagues
- ability to motivate, inspire and manage groups
- Strong background and experience in:
- experiential lesson planning
- Strong organizational, planning, and project management skills
- Desire and ability to work with children and young adults
- Knowledge and ability to lead Hebrew education and experiences for children
- Content knowledge in: Judaic content (text, ritual, history) and social justice content (current, historical)
- Be a self-starter and able to work with the minimum amount of supervision, particularly for managing logistics and off-site events
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and strong work ethic, and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Jewish values-driven; able to teach from and respectfully hold colleagues and community to Yachad’s 8 values
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job and may change at any time.
To apply, please send your resume and contact information for 3 professional references to Adva Zingher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reports to: Director of Yachad and Family Education
Hours: Position begins mid-August 2022 and ends June 2023. Saturdays 10:15 – 12:15 PM, Mondays 3:30 – 6:30 PM, and Thursdays 1:30 – 5:00 PM.
Salary Range: 10–17k, commensurate with experience
Congregation Beth Elohim (CBE) is an equal opportunity employer. It is a violation of CBE’s policies to discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family status, sexual preference, status with regard to public assistance, mental or physical impairment, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.