Congregation Beth Elohim (CBE) is a vibrant, cutting-edge Reform synagogue in Park Slope, Brooklyn. We are a welcoming and inclusive community, rooted in Jewish history and identity, and profoundly open to diversity in all its forms. We come together to learn, to pray, to celebrate the rhythm of Jewish time, and to support each other through the joys and sorrows of our lives. We are a spiritual, cultural and intellectual center for Jewish revitalization, fostering community and extending our values of justice, education, and inspiration throughout the neighborhoods where we live and beyond.
We are seeking a Learning Specialist for Yachad, CBE’s Religious Education Program. Yachad serves nearly 500 students with full-time educators learning, creating curriculum and sustaining meaningful community for themselves, their students and families. Our current daily structure is mornings for meetings, professional development, mentorship, lesson planning, administration work and monthly social justice work. Lead educators teach 2 – 3 classes a day and are responsible for writing two grades-worth of curriculum. Members of the Yachad full-time and part-time team receive ongoing professional and leadership development training throughout the year.
CBE believes in ongoing Jewish exploration and living through deep Judaic and ritual exploration. CBE is committed to Judaism (Jewish experiences and education) that is inclusive and accessible to all. The Learning Specialist plays a pivotal role in this mission by supporting our staff and students in creating and upholding an accessible and inclusive learning environment. In this role, they must have excellent communication and organizational skills, a warm and inclusive demeanor, and a strong sense of how to coach novice and intermediate educators. They should have a strong knowledge of pedagogy, classroom management, accessible learning techniques and a background of teaching a variety of learners. They should be a collaborative and flexible Jewish leader and educator.
Student Direct Support (includes family support)
- Observe students who need more support and co-create plans of support with their teachers
- Maintain and update contact log
- Build relationships and remain in contact with families with diverse learning needs in the CBE community
- Support teachers in creating and implementing Yachad curriculum
- Coach teachers on their curriculum development and classroom management
- Plan and facilitate professional development workshops for teachers and staff in consultation with the Director
- Observe, supervise and/or mentor ½ of part-time and ½ of full-time staff
- Support leadership in developing a robust, inclusive, and accessible learning program for in-person with remote and/or hybrid options on case-by-case basis (weekly meetings)
- Support Assistant Director and planning and facilitating Summer Teacher Orientation
- Coordinate with Bnei Mitzvah Coordinator, Cantor and Yachad Staff to offer inclusive options for B Mitzvahs
- Lead and participate in Neurodiversity Parent Committee
- Provide Shalom Spaces at each onsite and offsite event
Micro Class Coordinator
- Coordinate classes taught by yourself and other educators including class arrangements, curriculum, and room/space
- Provide intake and assessment of potential micro class students, talk with their families
- Observe, coach, and supervise micro class educators, including weekly meetings
Qualifications and Expectations
- Education Level: BA, with preference for MA in education, special education, or social work
- Years of Experience: 3 – 5 years teaching or leading in a similar setting, with preference in a special education or inclusive learning setting
- Strong leadership skills:
- cultivating novice and intermediate educator leadership
- communicating needs and vision with colleagues
- ability to motivate, inspire and manage groups
- Strong background and experience in:
- experiential lesson planning
- classroom management
- Special Education and/or Social Work
- Special needs support
- Strong organizational, planning, and project management skills
- Desire and ability to work with children and young adults
- Content knowledge in Judaic content (Hebrew, text, ritual, history)
- Be a self-starter and able to work with the minimum amount of supervision, particularly for managing logistics and off-site events
- Enthusiasm, patience and strong work ethic, and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Jewish values-driven; able to teach from and respectfully hold colleagues and community to Yachad’s 8 values
Reports to: Director of Yachad and Family Education
Schedule: This is a full-time position with Fridays and most Sundays off. This position requires flexibility to work weekends, evenings, and holidays. The position is year-round with light summer mid-June to July.
Salary Range: 55 – 65k, commensurate with experience
To apply, please send your resume and contact information for 3 professional references to Tehilah Eisenstadt and Adva Zingher. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congregation Beth Elohim (CBE) is an equal opportunity employer. It is a violation of CBE’s policies to discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family status, sexual preference, status with regard to public assistance, mental or physical impairment, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.