Unleavened Plays Festival
CBE is excited to announce its first annual Unleavened Plays Festival.
The Festival is seeking six 10-minute plays, each reflecting the underlying theme of “PLAGUE(S).” The plays will be performed as an evening of staged readings at CBE on Sunday, April 14, 2019 — the weekend before Passover begins, as people around the world begin to think about the Jewish people’s efforts to escape Egypt and head out into the desert toward freedom.
Don’t be put off by the potential darkness in our theme! We are looking for comedies, dramas and anything in between that build on the theme in a creative and dynamic direction. The plays needn’t be about Passover in any explicit way. Rather,we are hoping for plays that offer interesting characters, engaging stories, and exciting food for thought.
There’s no fee for submission, and previously produced plays are acceptable.
The six selected plays will be presented by professional actors and directors.
Deadline for submission is March 17, 2019. Plays chosen will be announced by the end of March.
1. Plays should respond to our theme, but feel full of imagination in how they engage with the theme. Do not feel the need to be literal or write specifically about Passover. Instead, aim to surprise and delight us.
2. Plays should feel Jewish in some basic way, but they do not have to be about exclusively Jewish characters or events. And plays should definitely avoid Jewish stereotypes.
3. The running time should be right around 10 minutes, and scripts may be no longer than 10 pages (not counting the title page & cast page).
4. Casts should be limited to 5 actors or less (though doubling is acceptable).
5. No special lighting or sound effects will be possible, so please avoid them along with complicated set-ups.
6. All submissions should be sent as PDFs in standard play format.
7. Playwrights may submit only one script.
8. Please use this format:
Title page: Title, author’s name, address, phone number, and email address
Second page: Cast with description of characters and setting.
Third page: This should be the first page of the script itself. Please include title and page numbers on every page.
Send Entries to: Congregation Beth Elohim Theater Projects at firstname.lastname@example.org